Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Healthcare 101 for me

Today's watercooler topic is the Mammogram topic. While I have been fortunate to have awesome health coverage in my life, I never once take it for granted. When I decided to take a breather from the Law gig and write for a while, I was perplexed with the insurance questions. I choose a plan that would be affordable, but with a great amount of coverage.

Having a mammogram since the age of 36; I have felt both confident and relieved that I could catch a problem early on if it happened. One of my high school friends was diagnosed with breast cancer and it has made it all too aware for me...

Today's topic has me a bit more than peeved. As my associate writers and I gathered for a social meeting, it was discussed. If you are self employed and have insurance, which is a step better than the BCBS-BlueChip, you were able to get a mammogram because it was mandated that it be covered without the horrible copay of $500.00. Today? Not so much... if this passes and is put into action, how many lives will be lost? Who cares anymore? The insurance companies do not...

It's a sad day. I worked for one of the best insurance companies in our country, ranked the highest in this and that, we didn't cover health, but all other areas, you betcha... After taking my leave I found I had serious rose color glasses on. Insurance is not what it was, and will never be the same again...

Posted by Jersey Girl 46 :: 9:54 PM :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------