Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The big open internet

I have had several blogs. I enjoy writing and I enjoy interacting with people. At a time I was home sick back in '96 the Internet was the window to the world. I would be up all night sick as a dog and I could sign on and find a friend to pass the time until I could go back to sleep. Thankfully I recovered (it wasn't as serious as we thought)however, a bond was formed. I met several online folks. I did not do the dating online, but I met friends in large groups and still have some of the friendships today.

The big open Internet is a scary place. Often you get warm and fuzzy by venting your feelings or the happenings in your life. You might say one or two things off kilter and think oh it will pass. Then the trusty dusty truth of EXPOSURE happens. There is no turning back. Many don't realize that every foot print they make on the Internet, whether it be a review, a message board or a comment in the newspaper is out there for the world to see.

What has become of privacy is now BIG WIDE OPEN PRINT for all to see. It reminds me of a coworker I once had. I called her "click and snoop". We worked at a nice size law firm and I was the newest hire. This click and snooper was all about knowing your business and anyone elses. The day would start off often with...

Do you know that named partner X's house is worth 600k and that he has no mortgage. Or another good one was, I looked on line and I found out you inherited a big ole MC MANSION in New Jersey, you are PAYING for lunch. These were the daily's of her snooping. She actually felt obligated to "check" everyone out, and then spread the stories thusly. When partner X filed for divorce, she literally came into work 40 minutes early to tell each and everyone of us about it, she had to be first to know. In truth, I knew before she did but never felt the need to repeat it. Also, I hated to tell her that some of the information she found so to speak wasn't very accurate. In my case, I didn't inherit the house, I bought it...

What makes me write this ditty is this... we are all human, at least my DNA said I was. We make mistakes and we hope that one small glimmer of hope that if someone reads what we did or didn't do can help them. I am a firm believer in sharing information to help someone else. When that sharing is used against someone or they are judged, it really pisses me off. I hope that I may never share too much with you or make you judge me, but I am not promising anything. All I say is this... It's my life and it's now or never... I' ain't gonna live for ever. (thank you JBJ)

Posted by Jersey Girl 46 :: 4:02 PM :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------