Saturday, September 12, 2009

Not the best babysitter in the world....

I have several friends that think I am the break under glass for emergency in the babysitting department. Clearly I like kids, I just don't own any of my own... But I will digress a moment and share a tidbit about my growing up.

I was fascinated with gadgets. My grandmother would take me to the rummage sales at church and I would plead for hand mixers. Not the electric kind, the OLD kind. I would pretend they were telephones. I loved all kinds of gadgets and I would make them something other than there intended use.

Now I was not underprivileged. I had horses, clothes, dolls, a real cash register for my little store and my own phone in my room. All the latest and greatest toys, but I really liked to use my imagination and play with odd ball stuff. I remember how it started. My grandmother had a box in the utility room with old pots and pans, and hand mixers (ooh my favorite) and I would take them outback and play with them. She also had a trunk of old lady purses and clothes and I played dress up in them.

See that's what kids did, we used our imaginations... Well... fast forward to this week...

I have babysat the Richy riches and when their Mother came early and saw them with colanders on their heads for helmets, I think she was mortified. (It's OK, they were actually playing Knights and Queens or something)... Anyway, I made them reynolds wrap clothes and swords made of paper towel cardboard... It was fun. The kids loved it, and they didn't want to go home. Hey I had to unwrap a lot of paper towel and wrapping paper for this project.

My friend, my buddy, my pal said to me... I know you have money, and you were not raised by wolves, what the hell are you doing? Don't you have Playstation or Wii or something? Can't they just play on your computer????

Why yes I have PlayStation and Wii and DDS and videos and movies and games and computers, but... but... but... they were having fun. I didn't charge her for watching them this week, I fed them real food, taught them to bake a couple of things, made photo books on snap fish of our week and ordered and paid for them. Even took them to the mall today for a nice lunch at Too Jays.

Some where along the line of thinking I was doing something nice and helpful; I became ODD; WEIRD; STRANGE; OFF MY EFFING ROCKER;...

By the way, You're Welcome!!!!

Labels:


Posted by Jersey Girl 46 :: 12:33 AM :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------